The history of Cottondale Elementary School goes back to the year 1886 when Cottondale was known as Kennedale. At that time Cottondale School was held near the Christian Church in an old house. Later it was moved inside the church. In 1888, school was held in the Baptist Church.
In 1900, Cottondale School moved again and was held in a three room building on Clements Road. The school consisted of the little room, the middle room, and the big room. The county superintendent was Mr. D. L. “Red” Smith; he came once a month to talk to students in the big room.
In 1913, the three room school burned and local patrons built another school in 1914. This school burned down in 1924. For two years Cottondale School moved from place to place using old company buildings. Finally in 1926 a very nice building was erected on Cottondale Road. This would be the permanent resting place for Cottondale Elementary School. The old school building was located on the now basketball court in front of the Activity Building.
In 1954, construction started on a new, larger school building. The third and fourth grade students at that time chronicled the events in the construction of Cottondale Elementary. The building was completed in 1955 and the students moved in on April 27th. The students had to carry all their own desks, chairs, and supplies into the new school. At the time the building consisted of two main hallways, the cafetorium, and the office. Since that time Cottondale Elementary has had two additions, built an Activity Building and has had many renovations.
Cottondale Elementary now consists of 410 students and 43 teachers and instructional staff. Our mascot is the cougar and the school color is Kelly green.